Make a game in our [updated] 12 hour jam this 18th June!
GameCraft is a games jam event designed around building the gaming community. We aim to create events which allow game-makers to meet, share ideas, have fun, compete for prizes and most importantly make games! Connect, Create, Collaborate.
Join a team or work solo. Meet game developers. Learn stuff. Make games. Have fun!
Also, there will be tea/coffee/water and food during the day.
Much the same as previous Galway Game Jams, except this time it’s in 1/3 duration and taking place in Pulse College, Galway.
**When**: 9am to 9pm Saturday 18th June. (12 hours of jam!)
Geata na Cathracha
Our hashtag for the event is #GalwayGameJam6
**Itch.io event page**: itch.io/jam/galwaygamejam6 – Online/remote participants please join here!
**Facebook event page**: https://www.facebook.com/events/579690282190570/
What do I need to bring?
* PC or laptop & its cables
* Screen & its cables
* Mouse pad
* Headphones or earphones – No speakers allowed
* Any game making equipment you think you’ll need (e.g. graphics tablet, game controllers, VR headsets etc.)
* If you are travelling from outside Galway you will need to organise your own accommodation. There are hostels in the city with reasonable rates and Bed & Breakfasts on College Road are only a ten minutes walk from the venue.
**Do I need to be an expert gamedev to participate?**
No, not at all! The gamejam is for everyone from complete beginners to professional game devs. We will try to team up beginners with some more experienced game jammers so you can be sure to learn and have fun and have something made by the end of the event.
**Is it for computer games or board games?**
Everything! You can use the Galway Game Jam to make any type of game.
**Can I work on a project that I’ve already started?**
Ideally the game jam is for making something new but by all means you can work on your own project. Please state this clearly in your submission so voters can accurately judge your entry. Any work you have already done before the gamejam is not eligable for that category of prizes. If in doubt, ask! We’re here to help 😉
**Can I use a game engine/library/framework/asset packs/royalty-free music etc?**
**Can I participate with a pre-arranged team?**
Yes. 5 people is the maximum teamsize. If you have any questions please ask an organiser.
**Can I take part remotely/online? Can I still join the competition?**
Yes. Join here: https://itch.io/jam/galwaygamejam5
You don’t need to pay the ticket price to take part online/remotely AND you can submit your game for the competition.
**What prizes are there?**
We’re working on that, but with our current lack of sponsors our prizes will likely be small. We’re working on getting bigger and better prizes with each game jam.
**Can you eat/drink at the venue?**
Yes but we’d like you to observe some rules. Please use the bins for any rubbish you have. Please don’t eat or drink anything that smells strongly in the main game jam area. Please tidy up after yourself.
**What kind of skills would be helpful at the gamejam?**
Pretty much all of them! The aim is to make stuff and have fun making. We encourage everyone to plan for a small game. Something achieveable in a weekend, for example, something that a single person can play in their web browser and complete in a few minutes.
These skills can be handy, but by no means definitive:
* Game Design – coming up with game mechanics in systems
* Writing – weaving a story, giving depth to the game through lore.
* Programming – trying out making a game using programming language you already know, or taking some tutorials in a game engine and bring all the pieces together.
* Art – create beautiful (or horrifying) art assets, and maybe some animation
* Audio/Music – making some noise, and some music. A great way to boost percieved production quality of a game!
* Production – organisation and time management skills. If this is a strength of yours you could take the lead in making deadlines for your team to achieve at different points over the event.
* And more!
Of course you can always use the gamejam to try something new, and I totally encourage it!
**Note to Online Participants:**
Please submit your game for voting to https://itch.io/jam/galwaygamejam6 by 8:00pm GMT/UTC on Saturday June 18th.
If you have any questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through our https://itch.io/jam/galwaygamejam6 forums, twitch or twitter.
Galway Game Jam 6 is made possible thanks to the Bank of Ireland Workbench, Galway @boistartups.